Solid wood kitchen cabinets are by far the most popular types of kitchen cabinetry in the U.S. This is because they have plenty of benefits and can be bought at a reasonable price, if you know where to shop. As with all things, they do come with a down side. Read on to find out how these kinds of kitchen cabinets compare to other types.
Kitchen cabinets are furniture used to store all manner of cooking utensils and food. Often other kitchen appliances like ovens and dishwashers can be integrated into the cabinetwork. They take up most of the space in a kitchen. They also come in close contact with food meant for human consumption so a lot of thought must be put into which kind of cabinets to get.
These cabinets are made entirely of wood. They come in anything from bamboo to ebony and mahogany. Other alternatives are particle board cabinets and metal cabinets. Particle board cabinets appear similar to solid wood cabinets. They are made of recycled material like wood chips and sawdust that is held together through the use of heat, glue and pressure. A veneer is placed on top of the recycled material to give it that solid wood look.
Benefits of Getting Solid Wood Kitchen Cabinets
- They are durable. They are more resistant to damage from moisture than particle board and metal cabinets are. It does not peel, cure or rust. They are also less likely to scratch and nick, and are easier to refinish, clean and paint.
- They are safe; nothing in the wood can taint the food stored in these cabinets
- The cabinets come in a wide variety; owners can select a particular color and type that fits in well with their home.
- These kinds of cabinets fit into all kinds of kitchen styles; from a vintage feel to more modern kitchens.
- They are timeless and always give a tasteful touch to any kitchen.
Kitchen cabinetry come in two distinct kinds of designs; face-frame and frameless. Cabinets with face frames come with narrow strips of hardwood that frame the cabinet opening. This is useful because it provides a place on which hinges can be mounted. Frameless cabinets are also called full access cabinets. They do not have a strip like their alternative. This means that owners have more space to use. However, both designs come with drawers and trays to improve access.
Solid wood cabinets do have one disadvantage: they are expensive. This cost rises if you want a custom design. Fortunately, used kitchen cabinets are a much cheaper option and still look as good as new. These can be found in online stores or from a remodeler. Prices for complete sets range between $1,000 and $3,000. Those that are higher quality will cost more.
Styles of kitchen cabinetry is extremely diverse. However, solid wood kitchen cabinets stand out from the other alternatives. Even though they are more expensive than other types of kitchen cabinets, they are well worth the cost.